Assisting With Activity and ExerciseDescription
This course is part of the Home Health Aide/Nursing Assistant Training library designed for agency or education institution use as an educational aid and resource in conjunction with hands-on instruction in a lab and or clinical setting supervised by a nurse educator. The agency or education institution is responsible for ensuring the learner has attained the knowledge and care skills, according to their states requirements, before providing care to a client.
This is a self-paced course with optional knowledge check quizzes after each lesson. These non-graded quizzes allow you to check your understanding of the lesson objectives before proceeding to the next lesson. After the final lesson you will be required to take the final exam. You must score 70% or higher to pass the course and obtain a certificate of completion.
- Recognize basic body mechanics
- Discuss benefits of exercise
- List the benefits of rest
- Discuss effects of lack of sleep and rest
- Define body alignment
- Demonstrate supine position placement
- Demonstrate side-lying position placement
- Demonstrate passive range of motion: shoulder and elbow
- Demonstrate passive range of motion: hip and knee
- Describe goals of rehabilitation
- Describe restorative care
- Demonstrate the proper procedure for moving the patient up in bed
- Demonstrate the proper procedure for moving the patient up in bed using a lift sheet
- Demonstrate the proper procedure for using a mechanical lift
- Discuss effects of immobility
- Demonstrate wheelchair transport
- Demonstrate wheelchair transfer
- Demonstrate the proper procedure for a 2-person wheelchair transfer
- Demonstrate ambulation
- Demonstrate walking with a cane
- Demonstrate walking with a walker
2.5 Contact Hour: based on 60 minute contact hour
The estimated time for completion for this activity is 2.5 hour(s).
This course is designed to meet the continuing education requirements of healthcare paraprofessionals, such as homehealth aide, nurses aide and personal care attendants.
Patricia Jump - RN PHN MA
Technical Nurse Consultant, President Acorn's End Training and Consulting. Patricia Jump received her Bachelor's in Nursing Degree from Winona State University and her Masters of Arts Degree in Health and Human Services Administration from St. Mary's University. She has over 25 years experience in the health care field and almost two decades of public speaking experience. As a professional trainer and consultant, Patricia conducts seminars across the country for all levels of employees in business, professional associations, educational organizations, churches, and government agencies. Additionally, she serves as personal coach, consultant, and retreat facilitator for home care leaders and organizations throughout the nation.
Materials used in connection with this course may be subject to copyright protection. Retention of the materials for longer than the class term, unauthorized further dissemination of the materials, or use of copyrighted materials in any way other than intended for this class is prohibited by Copyright and Teach Act laws.
This course was developed with Rochester Community and Technical College's Continuing Education and Workforce Development Division located in Rochester Minnesota. Development was funded from the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.