Overview of Hospice: Care Beyond CureDescription
This is a self-paced course with optional knowledge check quizzes after each lesson. These non-graded quizzes allow you to check your understanding of the lesson objectives before proceeding to the next lesson. After the final lesson you will be required to take the final exam. You must score 80% or higher to pass the course and obtain a certificate of completion.
- Define the uniqueness of a holistic approach to the terminally ill patient.
- Describe the philosophy of hospice.
- Outline the history of hospice development.
- Define terminal as it applies to qualification for hospice enrollment.
- Define the eligibility criteria for a hospice patient's enrollment
- Identify the barriers in discussions of death and hospice enrollment
- Define the certification process necessary for hospice enrollment.
- List the team members that are involved in the care and support of a hospice patient and family.
- Describe the role of each core team member
- Describe the role of the additional team members that may be assigned to the hospice patient and/or family.
- Identify the covered services available to the hospice patient and family.
- Identify the differences between Medicare "A" (Hospital) Insurance and the Medicare Hospice Benefit
- Describe how the Federal and State guidelines impact a hospice agency and the delivery of services
- Describe the four levels of hospice care
- Identify the typical payer sources for financial reimbursement of hospice care.
0.8 contact hour(s) based on 60 minute contact hour
The estimated time for completion for this activity is 0.8 hours
Health care professionals and volunteers to: include Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, Social Workers, Physicians, Chaplains/Counselors, Home Healthaides, Certified Nursing Assistants, Homemakers, Volunteers, Therapists, and others interested in hospice services and information.
Kathy Richie, BSN, RN, Lores Vlaminck, RN, BSN, MA, Technical Nurse Consultant, Lores Consulting
As required by ANCC, this continuing nursing education activity must carry an expiration date. You must complete the content, Final Quiz and Course Survey on or before that day. The last day to successfully complete this course and receive a Certificate of Completion will be December 31, 2019.
HLC Institution ID:1399
Provider Approval Number 0149-006;
Commercial Support: This course was developed in accordance with ANCC Commercial Support Guidelines. No commercial support was accepted for the development of this course.
Non-endorsement of Products and Off Label Use: This course provides a balanced view of therapeutic options. Use of generic names is always considered before using trade names. Consequently, if trade names are necessary, when available, we will use trade names from several companies. RCTC and the course planning team do not endorsed any products or drugs that may be mentioned in this course.
Lores Vlaminck - RN BSN MA Technical Nurse Consultant Lores Consulting
Lores received both her Bachelors of Science Degree in Nursing and her Master's in Nursing Education from Bethel University, St. Paul, MN. Lores has a varied background of healthcare experience to include acute and critical care, clinical nurse specialist, and most recently, 19 years of experience as the founder and director of a rural home care and hospice agency. <br><br> Lores' passion is education for health care professionals, para-professionals, volunteers, and the community at large in the specialty of end-of-life care. Lores offers seminars, training, orientation, coaching, presentations, compliance monitoring, and mentoring for home care, hospice agencies, and health care organizations.
Materials used in connection with this course may be subject to copyright protection. Retention of the materials for longer than the class term, unauthorized further dissemination of the materials, or use of copyrighted materials in any way other than intended for this class is prohibited by Copyright and Teach Act laws.
This course was developed with Rochester Community and Technical College's Continuing Education and Workforce Development Division located in Rochester Minnesota. Development was funded from the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.